Introducing the Pounds Transformation Weight Loss Program
Women’s Health Connecticut is proud to announce a partnership with Pounds Transformation Medical Weight Loss, a local program that has helped tens of thousands of Connecticut women lose weight under the care of a dedicated team of medical professionals and registered dietitians.
Founded by Connecticut ObGyn, Dr. Charlie Cavo, and his wife, Michelle Cavo, PA-C, Pounds Transformation examines the root causes of weight gain in women and recognizes the challenges they face when trying to make changes- from stress management to life stage concerns to hormonal imbalances.
If you’ve struggled to lose weight on fad diets or one-size-fits-all apps, Pounds Transformation offers a better approach. Pounds’ strategy focuses on lifestyle changes and education to change the way you approach eating and nutrition. Unlike other programs, Dr. Cavo and his team specialize in diagnosing and treating the underlying cause of your weight issues. They recognize that every patient is different, so your program will be focused on your specific needs and will take your lifestyle, goals, and personal preferences into account. The team at Pounds works to address each individual’s weight loss journey in a highly compassionate and personalized way.
How is Pounds Transformation different?
- This program is an extension of your regular ObGyn care. The Pounds team will communicate with your Women’s Health Connecticut provider and loop them in on the plan and your progress, adding another layer of support.
- Pounds Transformation combines research, biometrics, and medical expertise to create safe and effective weight loss and management programs. Markers such as insulin resistance, glucose levels, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), vitamin D, and cholesterol are monitored to measure progress on your health journey. The providers at Pounds can prescribe medications when necessary.
- It isn’t just about the number on the scale- Pounds’ comprehensive approach aims to reduce or eliminate weight-related conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, joint problems, digestive issues, cardiovascular disease, and more.
- You will get private coaching and compassionate support to guide you through the emotional process of changing your lifestyle and eating habits. You won’t be left to fend for yourself.
- No expensive prepackaged meals- everything you will eat can be purchased at your favorite supermarket. The Pounds team can help you find healthier options while working within your regular grocery budget and your cultural dietary traditions.
How to get started
Your Women’s Health Connecticut provider may recommend Pounds as a solution if you:
- are trying to lose weight before becoming pregnant or starting fertility treatments
- have been previously diagnosed with diabetes or gestational diabetes
- have gynecological conditions that may cause weight gain
- are experiencing post-menopausal weight gain
- have a BMI of 35.0+ and would like to lose weight
- are trying to manage your weight during pregnancy
If you are a new patient or see a provider at another Women’s Health Connecticut practice, please indicate your interest in the Pounds program when you request your next appointment.
Most major insurance plans cover office visits and any necessary testing. Check with your insurance company to verify. The Pounds team will conduct a complete benefits investigation prior to the first appointment to determine an estimate of out-of-pocket expenses.
The Pounds Transformation program is another great example of how Women's Health Connecticut is devoted to caring for you. Our physicians, nurses, and midwives will listen non-judgmentally and address your unique needs for physical and emotional care at every stage of life.
Meet the Founders
Pounds Transformation was founded by Charlie Cavo, DO, a Connecticut ObGyn, and his wife Michelle Cavo, PA-C, who has a personal understanding about the difficulty of weight loss and extensive knowledge of nutritional medicine. While practicing at The Hospital of Central Connecticut, Dr. Cavo became increasingly concerned with the adverse effects of obesity on his patients. He and Michelle founded Pounds Transformation in 2013 and have helped thousands of Connecticut women in the years since, approaching each with profound empathy and the utmost medical expertise. Today, they work with a team of nurses and registered dietitians who help make Pounds Transformation a success. They have offices in West Hartford Center, Southington, and Glastonbury.